I love lasagna, but sometimes it just takes to long and those “wonderful” new no-boil lasagna noodles always turn out super crunchy one the edges. So the other day I tried making my first skillet lasagna. I have seen a million recipes for skillet lasagna on Pinterest and other blogs, but none of them seemed exactly right for me. My husband really likes meat in his lasagna, but I’m a big fan of the cheese ricotta. I need something that gave me the best of both lasagna worlds.
First, cook some pasta according to the package directions. You can use broken up lasagna noodles (not the no-boil kind) or whatever you want. I used Barilla’s Mafalde Court Napoletane.
In a small bowl, mix together the pecorino or parmesan cheese and the ricotta. Set aside for later.
In a large pot, saute the olive oil and onions over medium high-heat. After a few minutes, add the ground beef and start breaking it into pieces while it browns.
Add the garlic, about halfway through the browning process, and continue to break up the meat.
Once the meat is no longer pink, add the tomatoes, basil, parsley and tomato sauce. Allow the sauce to cook for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the pasta.
Then stir in the cheese mixture and the shredded mozzarella. Allow the cheese to melt before serving.
1 pound lasagna-like noodles (or broken lasagna noodles)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pecorino or parmesan cheese
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
3/4 pound lean ground beef
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 6-oz can tomato sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, strain when cooked.
- In a small bowl, stir together parmesan and ricotta cheeses.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute onion in two tablespoons olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking the meat into small pieces.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add basil, parsley, tomatoes, tomato sauce.
- Allow sauce to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta, cheese mixture and shredded mozzarella.
- Allow the mozzarella to melt before serving.
Don't forget to follow me on Facebook or Pinterest to keep up with my latest recipes and posts!
October 25, 2012
This entry was posted in 30 Minutes or Less, Beef, Mains, Pasta and tagged beef, italian, lasagna, pasta, quick, tomatoes. Bookmark the permalink.