When I was in Milwaukee a couple of weekends ago, we went to a cute restaurant called Firefly. They had awesome small plates and amazing tuna tartare. But, my favorite thing we had that night was their garlic fries with parmesan aioli. They were perfectly greasy and garlicky, and I loved them. So when I got home from my weekend trip, I attempted to make my own version.
I’ve made different variations of oven fries many times, but these garlic oven fries are pretty close to perfect. At least as perfect as you can get without a deep fryer. And, the parmesan garlic aioli completes them. Trust me. They are amazing.
Serve them as a side dish for any meal. Or, just eat them as a meal by themselves – all by yourself. Don’t even bother sharing them, because they’re that good.
*Note: If you aren’t a huge fan of garlic, you may want to cut back on the garlic in the aioli – maybe use just a half teaspoon of minced garlic.
- 6 Russet Potatoes (cut into 12 wedges each)
- 1½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- For the aioli:
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- In a small bowl, combine the aioli ingredients – set aside.
- In a large bowl, coat potato wedges in oil and garlic.
- Sprinkle cornstarch, salt and pepper over potatoes, tossing to coat.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake until crispy – about 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes before serving with aioli.