Lately I’ve been hearing and reading a lot about the Banh Mi. I’m not sure if it’s becoming a trend in the food world or if it’s just a coincidence that I happened to see a ton of stuff on Pinterest about it and then I ate a Banh Mi pork burger at a restaurant when we were in Chicago a couple weeks ago. Either way – I’m happy about it. Anything that involves cilantro is okay with me.
Just in case you haven’t heard of a Banh Mi sandwich, it originated in colonial French Vietnam, which is why its typically served on a baguette. You can read a more detailed history about them at Banh Mi 101. Along with the baguette, common ingredients include pickled carrots, cilantro and chili peppers.
For this recipe, I wanted to bring the intense flavors of the traditional Banh Mi to a Banh Mi chicken salad. It takes a little effort since you have to pickled the carrots, but it can definitely be done ahead of time. It’s a great, new way to use up leftover chicken.
You can make just the chicken salad or you can go all out and assemble them just like we did. To do it, you’ll need the second half of the cucumber, the rest of the pickled carrots, a little extra mayo and a baguette for bread.
Start by slicing the baguettes in half lengthwise. Spread a thin layer of mayo and top that with some sliced cucumbers. The add the chicken salad and top it with a small handful of pickled carrots. Add the other side of the baguette and you’re ready to eat.
- ½ teaspoon sriracha sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 - 4½ cups chopped chicken breast
- ¾ cup pickled carrots (see recipe below)
- ½ cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Sriracha sauce, mayonnaise, light sour cream, soy sauce, lime juice and water.
- Whisk in the ginger, garlic and salt - set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the salad and stir until evenly mixed.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to blend.
- 2 cups julienned or shredded carrots
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a small saucepan, combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Heat and stir until combined.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before pouring over carrots.
- Let the carrots pickle overnight or longer for best results.